Whether it’s a shop unit, office building, or warehouse, it’s likely you’re aware of how important it is to maintain cleanliness inside your business premises – but what about the exterior? The facade of your premises is the first thing that visitors will see, so it’s crucial that you do what you can to keep this area of your building clean at all times.
To find out more about building facade and our exterior cleaning services and why it’s an essential part of maintaining the appearance of your business, keep reading.
What is facade cleaning?
In short, facade cleaning is the process of making sure the exterior of a building is clear of any dirt, grime, stains, and pollutants. The facade usually refers to the front part of the building where the entrance is located.
Some of the most popular materials used for building facades include glass, stone, and wood, although some properties may feature facades made from metals such as stainless steel or aluminium.
There are a number of reasons why a building facade can appear dirty. For example, the weather can take its toll, as can pollutants in the air. This combination can cause a facade to fade in colour, impacting on the building’s overall appearance.
How a facade is cleaned will depend on the material it is made from. The equipment and solutions used will be specific to the type of material so as to ensure no damage occurs during the cleaning process. The building’s location and function may also determine exactly how the facade is cleaned.
Why is facade cleaning important?
Put simply, a clean, attractive building is much more aesthetically pleasing than a dirty one. There’s no denying that a fresh-looking facade presents a more welcoming, hospitable front, helping to set the tone for the rest of the building and your business. So, if you’re keen to impress passers-by and those who may be entering your premises, it’s important to make sure that the facade of your building is kept in tiptop condition and clear of grime, stains and unsightly marks.
Keeping the facade of your building clean is also important if you rent the property. You may find that your rental agreement states you must maintain the exterior of the building, so it is essential that you keep this part of the property clean at all times.
Can I clean the facade of a building myself?
The good news is, it is possible to clean the facade of your building yourself. However, it’s worth noting that this can be a tricky task, and ensuring you have the correct equipment, cleaning solutions and clothing before you get started is absolutely crucial. It’s also important to recognise that cleaning the facade of your building will most likely require working at height, so it’s essential that you take health and safety seriously at all times.
If you’re interested in learning how to keep your building facade clean, keep reading. Here are three of the most popular facade types and tips on how you can maintain this part of your building yourself.
Cleaning glass facades
- For facade glass cleaning, add a natural detergent or an appropriate commercial cleaning product to water and mix together.
- Dip a squeegee or specially designed cloth into the cleaning mixture and shake off any excess.
- Apply the solution to the facade in gentle, even strokes.
- For particularly oily or dirty spots, apply isopropyl alcohol or acetone with a soft, clean cloth.
- To remove another residue, lightly polish the area with a suspension of cerium oxide.
- Rinse the area thoroughly and repeat the above steps until the entire facade is clean.
How to clean stone facades
- Add a splash of vinegar or dish soap to warm water to create a mild detergent solution.
- Dip a sponge or soft-bristled brush into the mixture and squeeze out any excess.
- Scrub the stone with the sponge or brush, then rinse the area with clean water to get rid of any soapy residue.
- For quicker results, you could use a rotary tool fitted with a buffing or polishing accessory on a medium speed to clean the area.
- Repeat the above steps until the entire area is clean.
How to clean wooden facades
- Remove any moss or algae that may be present on the facade.
- Add some dish soap to warm water and mix together.
- Use a soft-bristled brush to apply the cleaning solution.
- Gently scrub the wood to remove any dirt, paying attention to particularly soiled areas.
- Rinse the area with clean water and repeat the above steps until the entire facade is clean.
Should I get my building facade professionally cleaned?
If you don’t fancy cleaning the facade of your building yourself, you could bring in a professional company to get the job done. Whether you need wood, glass, or stone facade cleaning, hiring an expert means that you needn’t worry about risking your safety or damaging the outside of your building, and you’ll also save yourself a lot of time and effort. You may also find that the end result is much better than you could achieve by yourself.
What type of equipment is used for building facade cleaning?
One of the advantages of using a professional company to clean the facade of your building is that they will have access to the latest equipment. Some of the tools they may use could include high specification, extendable pressure washers, and steamers which have been specially designed for this type of cleaning. An expert will also use specialist cleaning solutions and the most up-to-date techniques.
If you need your facade professionally cleaning, contact us today